Claire is the French form of Clara, the feminine form of Late Latin Clarus via Latin clārus meaning “clear, bright, shining; renowned, famous” derived from PIE *kelh₁- (to call, shout).
Claire is also a surname originating from the given name.
Meaning: “clear, bright; famous”
Usage: French, English
- Clara (Italian, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Romanian, Swedish, Danish, Late Roman)
- Klara (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, German, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Slovene, Croatian)
- Klára (Hungarian, Czech, Slovak)
- Klāra (Latvian)
- Chiara (Italian)
- Chiarina (Italian diminutive of Chiara)
- Claretta (Italian diminutive of Clara)
- Clare (English)
- Clarice (English)
- Clarissa (English, Italian)
- Clair (French)
- Clarus (Late Roman)